Friday, March 16, 2018

Guatemala - First Morning

It is my first morning here in Guatemala, my second day. I am currently sitting outside in the back of the Leiva’s home and have been talking with Geo. And I am just awed by what God has done so far.

Yesterday, when I first cleared security at the airport, I began sensing His peace. Like, wow, this is really happening. God and His sovereign hand have made away for me to return to this place that is holy for me. I have never been to the Holy Land, but this place is a holy land for me. Maybe it is the mountains, maybe it is the culture, but specifically, it is the people.

I was able to ride with Armando yesterday and catch up. And immediately my brother in Him began exhorting me. Just his love for God and God’s people. He has lived a long time for the Lord, and is a great mentor. His presence is a comforting assurance. He makes me think of what God must be like. We talked of many things. And poured out our hearts about God’s people. I knew God had something for me here, and Amie had prayed for a spiritual reawakening. I am experiencing it.

Last night, I got to listen to all the love shared by this family as they opened gifts. And you could see the genuine love they share for each other. I was smiling, laying in the bed in my little room listening to their laughs and yells. I could have participated I’m sure, but I didn’t want to intrude and wanted them to have their time together.

This morning, as we all woke up, again, godly love in a family was displayed as everyone greeted each other with hugs and holy kisses. There were no morning attitudes, just joy at facing the day together as a family. At breakfast, the laughs abounded.

Then Geo and I came outside to read the bible and talk. And he opened up with me about a bible study he is leading at his Crossfit Box. Seeing his passion and listening to him as he talked about the people he is in the study with made my heart rejoice. They are even leading a Muslim to Christ! 

One thing he said really hit me. Geo is very big on nutrition and exercise. Both of which require intense dedication and discipline. He is committed to them. And he said the reason he can lead that study is he is as committed to Jesus as he is to them. He mentioned that in sharing with his group, they had to be disciplined and it takes time. But you have to dedicate yourself to loving the Lord your God with mind, body, and soul. You have to work hard at it. But in time, it gets easier and easier.

It made me think of how lax I have become in my spiritual disciplines. Even my physical disciplines, if I am to be quite honest. So here I am, learning my lessons. God is teaching me. Just as I knew He would. I have to refocus on the things spiritually that I have been lacking in. I have to focus on my body where I have been failing. With the same commitment I have been making in my marriage.

I know that God is going to use me on this trip. I will be a blessing. But I also know I will be the recipient of some of the greatest blessings.


“God, thank you for this oppurtunity. Use me and teach me. Show me your ways. And allow me to be your hands and feet. Forgive me of my failures, but let me learn from them to be everything you created me to be. May this be a time of revival. And may lives be changed, here and back home, for your glory! You deserve all the praise!!! In Jesus’ name. Amen”

No comments:

Post a Comment