Monday, March 26, 2018

Guatemala 2018 In Review


3/20/18 - Guatemala

I have been in Guatemala for 5 days now and am currently in Joconal Village. And I know God is with me. The team arrived without any problems on Saturday night just as they were supposed to. We got back to the Leiva Home pretty late, so they only had the opportunity to meet Geovanni and Armando that night. Shaun and Allison rode in the truck with Armando and I so I could brief them on what things would be like, and Tony and Melissa rode with Geo since they have been here before. We got back to the house and went to bed.

When we woke up on Sunday morning, as is the custom here, everyone was very cordial and happy to see each other. The team was warmly welcomed by the entire Leiva family. I could tell everyone was beginning to experience the same peace I have been experiencing here. After introductions and breakfast, we began loading the trucks to embark on our journey to the village. Tony, Shaun, and myself rode with Armando, and the girls rode with Geo and Norma. We had quite a wonderful ride out as we discussed God, each other, listened to some country western music, and just enjoyed each other’s company. We had very little traffic since it was a Sunday.

On the ride out, I pondered and thought about many things and how God would use each of us, but more importantly, how He would work in each of us. I knew that every person on this trip was here for a reason. But I also knew there would be many important conversations that needed to take place. I prayed for wisdom and guidance in those conversations, and that while they may be difficult conversations in nature, that God would give me the words and the conversations would be a blessing. Usually it is the hardest conversations that God works most powerfully through.

We arrived in the village after our long ride, and were warmly welcomed by the villagers. First we saw Paulino at his house, and then made our way on up the mountain. Rosbin was at the farm house and I was so overjoyed to see him. I had been praying for him for so long and wanted to know how God has been working in his life. But I also knew that Armando had already told me about the fact that Rosbin was not growing as much as I had hoped.

The villagers helped us unload and bring our stuff in and we set up our sleeping arrangements. A tent for me and Shaun, Tony in a hammock, the girls in a room, and Geo set up in the room with his parents. Of course this was after convincing Norma that us boys didn’t need the room and we would rather have Armando and Norma in the bed than for us to put her out.

After setting up, we made our way over to the Sold Out Church / Water Wishes Dam that we built last year and we began praying. Geo prayed, then Armando in Spanish, the “language of Heaven”, and then I closed us out. Afterwards we came back to the farm house and had dinner. It was the delicious staple of Guatemalan cuisine, black beans, eggs, and tortillas with fresh papaya.

After dinner, we discussed the plans for Monday. Once everyone knew what they were to do, we than began talking about how God led each of us here. To hear the stories of everyone’s journey was powerful. The things that brought us all here and how we got here was quite amazing. And you could see how God had woven everything together for each of us. Just listening to the stories was a reminder that God had each of us here for various reasons. But for each of us, I think it was meant to be a time of renewal.  One story in particular that stood out was Pastor Tony’s, as it was perhaps only the third time I have witnessed tears flow from his eyes in the entire 14 years I have known him.  I began to get excited about all God was going to do, but also became acutely aware that one of the conversations I was needing to have needed to take place that very night.

I pulled one of the team members to the side and began talking and discussing everything. And praise God, they listened and realized they needed to leave home at home and focus on what God wanted for them here. This team member has a hard time at times letting God maintain His proper place of sovereignty and tries to frequently take control of situations that are definitely His to control. And here in Joconal Village, there is nothing we can control back home. So it teaches us that we have to really let go and surrender our needs and worries to Him. The conversation was received very well and the team member clearly was less anxious afterwards. I was very thankful for this first Holy Spirit conversation.

After showering I prepared for bed and had an opportunity to have the conversation that I was most reluctant to have, but also the one I knew I needed to have the most. I prayed before engaging, and then initiated the conversation. I listened as God began tugging the team members heart strings and they began opening up with me about everything. The tears poured out of the team member as they confessed the spiritual war they had been facing and the damage it was wreaking in their life.  I used my recent experiences and what God has shown me through those experiences to encourage and lead them how to overcome. When it was all said and done, the team member and I prayed, and I knew, God was doing a big thing. A really really big thing that only He could do.  After that conversation I went to bed believing God for more miracles.

We woke up yesterday morning and had a light breakfast, then began our grueling work day. The day consisted mainly of shoveling. We dug holes all day long. One for a grease trap, one for a septic tank, and one for gray water. And we bagged and bagged and bagged dirt all day long for bags to shore up and level the land where the tanks will all be. Shaun has been such a valuable asset to the team and the village because of his plumbing knowledge. I know the project could not have gone as well as it has without his expertise.

We got a lot accomplished, but there was still more to be done. Including supper. Which was the annual Spaghetti Night in the village. Norma made some delicious spaghetti and it was so good! Everyone ate to their hearts content and throughly enjoyed. Rosbin and his wife Cindy were able to dine with us and after dinner, something I had been praying about came to pass.

Armando, Geovanni, Norma, and myself were able to sit with Rosbin and Cindy and discuss God and marriage. Of course this was a huge deal because after last year when I was able to personally minister to him, I had been wondering how they were doing. Unfortunately, he had not been reading with his family as I had hoped, but we did get to talk about it and he plans to start. I actually gave him a place to start that would be beneficial to him and his family. Also during the conversation, Armando talked to him about getting married in a covenant with God, even before he is able to go to the city to get his marriage license. It must be noted that him getting to the city is not an easily accomplished task. It is about 6 hours away on a good day. They want to get married legally, but given their context, they could at least make it right with God and get married in His eyes in a covenant so that they are no longer living in sin.

Another good thing to come out of the conversation was that Norma was finally able to open up and talk to Cindy. Something she had been wanting to do, but the right situation had alluded them up until that point. But on that night, Norma was able to tell Cindy all about her faith and how she views Cindy and the ladies in the village. This was important not only to Norma, but you could tell that it meant a great deal to Cindy.

After the conversation with Cindy and Rosbin, the team and the Leiva’s had a devotional and everyone began opening up about how God was working in them. It was powerful to hear how God was moving so profoundly in everyone, and tears abounded around the table. We all cried as we shared and poured out our hearts. It was a very moving experience that I will always cherish. I remember specifically thanking God for how He was working in us.

3/26/18 - Guatemala

I have since now returned home, but wanted to finish sharing about our experiences in Guatemala and how God was glorified in us and through us.

The following day, our second full day in the village, we began with breakfast at 7am and then went to work. We had a lot to do. We packed bags for the wall we were building, as well as moved over all the blocks that were purchased for the trap and septic tank. There were over a hundred blocks we had to move about 75 yards. Additionally, wood was split pretty much all day,  mostly by Tony. This was so that Goya, who is now 62 years old, wouldn’t have to do it all. We wanted to leave her with plenty of wood for her cooking for the farm workers.

It was on this day that we all laughed until tears were flowing in our eyes because at lunch, Allison finally got to sample a “sweet berry”. Her reaction was priceless. And she continued making us laugh hysterically when the wall began crumbling because I dug too close to it, so she blamed herself and was very upset to the point of tears that Armando would be upset with her. This of course moved us all to tears of laughter! It was one of the funniest parts of the trip and something we will all remember for years to come.

Shaun of course didn’t get to partake in the laughter as he was too busy working on the grease trap, and the sink that had a very slow drain so that it was filling up before it could drain. Shaun was relentless in his pursuit to use his plumbing skills to make sure he accomplished all he possibly could while in the village. I’m telling you, he is like the plumbing terminator. He is a machine.

This day also ended with a devotion and all of us just talking about God’s activity, which was quite a bit. We could see Him all around us. In our work, in the people, and in His creation. There is just something very special about this place and how God is working there.

Then came the last full day in the village. It was a beautiful day and consisted of finishing up our projects that we had started. There were a few more blocks to be moved, as well as some concrete sand. We hooked up the grease trap and tied the sink into the line. It worked perfectly. You could see the grease and soap waste collecting on the trap side, and the gray water flowing through to the other side, and into the gray water hole.  Shaun had did it! Of course we never doubted him, but it was great to see it working. Also on this day, the preschool kids had us come in and they sang to us the song I played for them, “Cristo Me Ama”, or “Jesus Loves Me”. It was very touching and moving to see they had learned the lyrics just so they could sing them to Jesus in front of us.  We were also able to present the kids at the school with some donated toothbrushes and toothpaste, as well as educate them on how to use them.

After lunch, we began our hike up the mountain to the Honduras border. This year, everyone on the team went, and something new developed between Paulino, the farm foreman and myself. You see, Paulino is to Armando what Eric is to me. And as we began ascending the mountain, 3 distinct groups developed. In the lead was Shaun and Geovanni. In the rear was Melissa, Allison, Tony, and Armando. Tony was waiting on the girls, and Armando was spurring them on. The middle group was myself, and Paulino. Having lost 22lbs since last year, I was able to tackle the mountain at a much better pace. Tony wanted me to go ahead and push myself, so he waited on the girls. So I was going along at my own medium pace, as I could not keep up with Geo and Shaun. Paulino could have went ahead, as he could probably sprint up the mountain. But he didn’t. He refused to leave me. He stayed with me to make sure I was safe. He would not let anything happen to me. And it struck me, Paulino would have laid down his life on that mountain for me if needed. 

As we approached the final summit, I was wearing out. I looked up, and Paulino was cutting a good size branch out of a tree with his machete. He cut the branches growing from it off, and cut a dull point in the end. He had made me a walking stick to help with the final push up the mountain. This meant so much to me. He would not let me fail. He was there for me. Like the Holy Spirit, he was leading me and with me every step of the way. He even gave me exactly what I needed when I needed it to accomplish the task before me.

As we made it to the summit, we took pictures and he stood over me in one, on top of the Guatemala / Honduras marker as I sat at the base. I love this picture because he is silently standing watch over me, protecting me.  When Tony, the ladies, and Armando finally arrived, we took more pictures, and to our excitement, got to call our families!!! I finally got to hear Amie’s voice again because Melissa’s phone was picking up a signal at the 6,000’ elevation and she had purchased the international plan. Everyone was excited to be able to update our families.

After making my call, while the others were making theirs, Paulino used my Buck Knife to carve my name into my walking stick. I wanted to be able to bring it home, but knew it would not be possible. I tried to figure out what I would do with it as we began our descent down the mountain.  When we reached the bottom, I showed it to Goya, and she told me she would put it up in her room, and then, from now on, when I am in the village, it would be there waiting on me. This was such a touching gesture. 

Once we got cleaned up and came down for dinner, Manuel, the village pastor was there at the farm house. He and I began a conversation with Armando translating. At first the conversation was not going so well, but then Manuel began to open up. We talked about our struggles as pastor’s and how we could pray for each other, our families, and those we serve. At the end of the conversation, I had the opportunity to pray with Manuel. And as the tears streaked down his cheeks, I knew God had used me. He was invited to join us for dinner, our last in the village.

When dinner was concluded, I felt it pressed upon my heart to gift Paulino with my Buck Knife. Part of me wanted to question God on this, but I knew it was the right thing. And Paulino was very moved by the gesture. He then used it to carve the Sold Out Cross onto my walking stick. I will always think fondly of him and this act.

After dinner, the team also occupied themselves playing with the children. We played futbol, tickled, and laughed with them. It was great watching young Donnie and Leo talking smack to Tony and Shaun as they played. Those boys are really good. Lots of great pictures were taken that night as we knew our trip was concluding.

We all talked and had our last devotion in the village. We shared all of our stories and laughed, cried, prayed, and just worshipped God and His goodness. We knew that while we had been a blessing to the village, they all blessed us even more.

That night, we packed our belongings and prepared to depart the village the next day. The team all laughed while packing as we recounted our experience and began planning for our next trip.

The following morning, we woke up, with a bit of bittersweet emotion in the air. We all wanted to see our families, but none of us wanted to leave the people we have all come to love so much.  There is so much in me that wants to live in that village for the rest of my life and plant a SOC there. But I know God has to confirm that.

We began saying our goodbyes to our family in Christ. The tears were plentiful, as were the smiles. This village loves Sold Out Church, and we love this village. I am so thankful God has led us there to help the Leiva’s fulfill their vision for the village.  It is such a blessing to be able to join in where God is already working.

Once the trucks were loaded, we all got in and began the long journey back to Guatemala City. Me, Tony, and Shaun rode with Armando again, and Allison, Melissa, and Norma all rode with Geovanni. As we traveled, we talked about God, politics, sexuality, and the plight of our young people today. We also listened to every kind of music you can imagine during what would turn out to be a 10 hour trip back to the city.  Along the way, we stopped at a roadside cantina and had authentic Guatemalan Empanadas. Some had frijoles, some had carnitas, and some had queso. All were absolutely delicious!!!

We finally made it back to the city and to the Leiva home. Geo’s family was all excited to see us, and Karina laughed at all of our stories and videos. I was overcome with emotion, knowing it will be awhile before I see these amazing people again. My part of the trip was over, and the rest of the team would be leaving the following evening.

When Geo, Tony, and Shaun took me to the airport, I cleared security and had two hours before boarding my flight. And I began taking in all God had done.  I watched as He performed miracles to get me there. I rejoiced as He performed miracles in me and showed me how families are to be. And I thanked Him repeatedly as I considered how He had changed every team member that came. I knew beyond a shadow of a doubt that the people that arrived in Guatemala the preceding Saturday night were not the same people that were to be leaving the following evening. God had changed them. He changed all us. And in doing so, He also changed a village. They got to see the love of Jesus Christ personified in a few crazy Americans that love Him so much they were willing to go and use their gifts, talents, and resources to impact the least of these. And we got to see that even the least of these can be the greatest of these because of their great love for Him.

I thank God that He has introduced us to the Leiva’s. I thank God that He has incorporated Joconal Village into the mission and ministry of Sold Out Church. I thank God that He generously gives to us so we can generously give to others resulting in thanksgiving to Him. And I thank God, most of all for Jesus Christ. The reason I have meaning. The reason I have purpose. Jesus has forgiven of my sins and uses me in spite of me. He opens doors so that His name might be lifted high. The name above all names. The One who was dead and is alive again. He transforms and renews. 


“Thank you God for all you have shown me on this trip. Thank you Jesus for all you have done for me. For giving your life. Thank you for your miracles. And I cannot wait to see all you have in store for me, my family, Sold Out Church, the city of Conway, and Joconal Village. You are worthy. In Jesus’ name, amen.”

No comments:

Post a Comment